Raise your hand if you’re from Texas!! Ok, ok it’s ok if you’re not but just know that we love us some breakfast tacos. My personal favorite is a gas station original that’s potato, egg, bean and cheese, otherwise known as a Q taco for my Valley folks. Best. Food. Ever. (Minus a Las Vegas Restaurant Enchilada, which I’ll totally post about when I go back to Texas one of these days).
But let’s get back to breakfast tacos. Who doesn’t love a good quick meal that satisfies every one of your taste buds for the first meal of the day? Exactly. I love those good ol’ Q tacos but they aren’t exactly friendly for the wasitline. That’s why I came up with this amazing taco recipe that will satisfy you, your significant other (that’s ok if it’s your dog, girl), and your guests. You can always swap the eggs for egg whites as well. Check it out below:
Healthy Breakfast Taco Recipe
4 corn tortillas (I prefer Mission because they are low in everything and taste authentic AF)
½ red bell pepper
1 small avocado
1 lime, juiced
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tsp olive oil
Pepper to taste
Optional: Cheese of your choice. I would pick either cotija (Mexican cheese) or feta cheese for best taste
- Warm two skillets (if possible) to medium heat (that means level 5 for most of you)
- Once one pan is heated up, add olive oil. Once warm, add peppers, onion, and seasoning to pan. Saute until soft (cover if needed).
- In the other pan, spray cooking spray. Place corn tortilla in pan and warm for about 30 seconds each side. Place on plate until ready
- Cut avocado and mash in a small bowl. Squeeze lime on the avocado to avoid browning. Divide on corn tortillas when finished.
- Once vegetables start to soften and corn tortillas are ready, spray pan (the one that had the corn tortillas) with cooking spray. Remove vegetables from the pan and distribute on the four tortillas.
- Crack either two or all four eggs into pan that previously held tortillas. Cook eggs until desired firmness (I prefer a little runny (over medium) because it just tastes so good with veggies). Place eggs on corn tortillas with mashed avocado and vegetables.
- Divide cilantro and top each taco with a little. Serve immediately.
Such a great weekend recipe! Next time I make it I think I’ll roast some sweet potatoes with the seasoning or mash it. Try it out for yourself and let me know how it goes!