As you probably realized in my first recipe post, I love me some breakfast. I think it’s a meal that people tend to forget about until they have some time to make it on the weekend, but I make sure I get that meal in every day. I used to get up early and make breakfast for my fiancé and I but I realllyyyyyyyy also like sleep, so I re-evaluated what I should be doing.
I remembered my days of meal prepping. Back before I met John I was basically a 20 something obsessed with working out, sitting by the pool when the weather was good, and eating super healthy. I still love those things but I was kind of crazy before and I’ve definitely have found a middle ground for myself by following IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros, more on that in another post).
So with my new eating style of actually being a normal person and eating carbs (again, based on my macros) and my dire need for sleep and meal prep, I decided to do some digging around for a cool egg recipe I could make and modify to my liking. I found a bunch, but the one that I have on this post is officially my favorite version I have perfected. If you’re single, freeze/refrigerate these and pop them in the microwave/oven. They’ll be delicious even heated up later and should last you for the work week. If you’re in a relationship, he/she may want two for themselves so it may only last a couple of days. Go crazy with the veggies if you don’t like the ones I picked, I promise I won’t get offended!
I hope you enjoy it and if you try it, please leave a comment below!
Egg Casserole-Breakfast for the week!
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 13×9 pan
Olive Oil spray
1 tbsp olive oil
2 small sweet potatoes, shredded (1 large is fine, just make sure it covers the baking dish)
1 cup mushroom, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup spinach
1 tsp garlic salt
6 egg whites (liquid substitute is fine just remember 3tbsp = 1 egg)
6 strips of uncured turkey bacon (I like Plainville but you can use anything you’d like or you can choose to use chicken sausage and I like al Fresco and I would use 4 total)
¾ cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I prefer sharp)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray bottom of the pan with olive oil spray to make sure it does not stick
- After shredding the sweet potato, take a cheese cloth (if your fancy, I either use a clean dishcloth or paper towels) and squeeze out some of the water that is naturally in the sweet potato. This will help the crust cook a bit faster
- Line the bottom of the pan with the sweet potato. This will serve as your hash brown crust to give you those good carbs your body loves!
- Bake sweet potato for 20 minutes.
- While sweet potato is cooking in the oven, heat up a saucepan at medium high heat.
- Once warm, add olive oil and chopped veggies. Add garlic salt and sauté until soft. Add in chopped chicken sausage/turkey bacon and heat through (most of these are somewhat cooked and will cook more in the oven)
- Crack eggs and add egg whites to a bowl and whisk until yolks have been broken. Add sautéed veggies to the egg mix. Mix in shredded cheese.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven. I add a little olive oil/cooking spray just because I’m paranoid about it sticking and being a mess. Add egg mixture to the sweet potato and place back in oven.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes based on oven. Cut into 8 squares once cooled and store for eating later or serve immediately!
What’s your favorite breakfast? Are you a fan of egg recipes or would you like to see some other breakfast recipes from The Fit Britt? Share your comments below!